Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Blah!

That's what I feel about my blog. I really need to go out to mom's and use her digital camera.

This weekend I ended up splurging again. I decided, "What the heck! I already know how to knit socks on two circs, why not try the Magic Loop?" So I bought a 32" addi turbo size 2 and the Magic Loop book. And I also picked up the book Bags: A Knitters' Dozen.

My LYS had just gotten it in, and I just happened to see it as I was getting ready to check out.

Well, as soon as I got home, I just HAD to start on one of the bags. (I can't remember the name right now, though ... Will have to post that info later.) This summer I had picked up some yarn at Aurora Yarn Supply that I knew I wanted to knit into a bag. Yarn + perfect pattern = bag.

It's been a slow start to re-knitting the sock I frogged last week. It's been pretty stressful at home, so I just haven't had much relaxing knitting time. That and the fact that I've had a sinus infection since Saturday that's just been kicking my butt.

If anyone has any good ideas for rewards/punishments for a 12-year-old girl and a 6-year-old boy, I would definitely appreciate all comments. There has been a lot of change in our family over the last year or so, and its been hard on us all. But I am having a heck of a time getting my kids to obey me, and most mornings and evenings as of late have left much to be desired in the way of "there's no place like home ..."

2 comments:

trackingprojectbackpack said...

(((HUGS))) it's so hard on everyone when there's a ton of change/upheaval in someone's life. Have you ever read the book "HOw to talk so kids will listen; how to listen so kids will talk" ? It's awesome. I have a new bumpersticker on my car that I use as a daily reminder with the kids I have at school- "Look past the behaviour- what is your child feeling?" Sometimes it doesn't mean they're being disobedient because they want to make you feel angry/upset, but a way of dealing with whatever they're feeling on the inside. Sometimes that's a hard nut to crack, but when you do, it's great. :-D

I hope it gets better for you all!

lynn at mindfulmoderation.com

Chelsea said...

Hi Phoenix~
I am sorry to hear about the stress that all the changes are causing!

My suggestion would be to involve the kids as much as possible in determining both the reward and the punishments--not just that, but determining what gets them which. I have seen charts made that are kept on the fridge or in the den that show good and bad behaviors (cleaning your room, going to bed on time, OR saying mean things to family member, throwing a tantrum) and then what happens if they rack up too many marks in either column (trip to zoo/park, go to movie, OR no video games/tv for a day or week etc...)

That way you can talk to them about why the bad behavior is undesirable... ie, "why do you think it is important to go to bed on time?" And also about consequences "what would be a fair punishment if you hurt your sister's feelings?"

Here are two links to systems like that:
http://childparenting.about.com/cs/behaviorproblems/a/behaviormod.htm (how-to article) http://www.webehave.com/beast.htm (full activity set for sale)

Feel better, this too shall pass.
And RAOK on!